Gourmet Food

>

Friday, October 5, 2012

Stuffed Strawberries

I know, I know, I know.  I said I don't do desserts.  But here's what reminded me of these little treats.  A girlfriend of mine invited me to go to a brunch at Neiman Marcus for the spring collection of Tori Burch.  The bitchy gourmet was hobnobbing with the rich folks.  Anyway, Neiman's idea of a brunch wasn't too bad.  Lots to drink and no food.  Get the women snookered and they'll spread the wealth.  Their idea of brunch was a lovely big plate with 5 little pastry thingies.  One of which was this "dessert".  I've made these for buffets and to bring over to someone's house when they need something sweet.  So, here's what Neiman's  served as part of their brunch:
Stuffed Strawberries  Yields 1 1/2 dozen20 large fresh strawberries, divided
1- 3 oz package cream cheese softened
2 tbls finely chopped pecans or walnuts
1 1/2 tbls powdered sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp orange liqueur optional

Dice two strawberries and set aside.  Cut a thin slice from each stem end of each remaining strawberry, forming a base for strawberries to stand on.  Cut each strawberry into four wedges, starting at the pointy ends and cutting to but not through the stem ends.  Beat the cream cheese at med. speed with an electric mixer until fluffy.  Stir in the diced strawberries, walnuts, powdered sugar, cinnamon, and if desired, the liqueur.  Spoon or pipe about one tsp of the mixture into each strawberry. 

* I found this in Southern Living many years ago.  It was created my Mary Pappas of Richmond, VA. Thanks Mary!



No comments:

Post a Comment