Gourmet Food

>

Friday, October 5, 2012

Beef Stew for a Crowd

I had intended to write this at Easter but couldn't find my hometown generated cookbook.  I was thinking about the Easter picnics in my hometown.  We used to get all dressed up in frilly dresses and have our Easter baskets all ready to go to the local VFW hall and grounds for the big Easter egg hunt.  Back in the 50's and early 60's, this picnic was so big that if it were an election year, candidates for state level offices would come and make speehes on a flat bed trailer.  The best part of a town picnic in those days was, of course, the food.  I was trying to recall what they served.  If my memory is correct, it was fried chicken (with a perfectly golden brown color), the town's "famous" beef stew, green beans, german potato salad, canned peaches and white bread.  The ladies of the town made all of the desserts.  I was trying to find a recipe for the stew and I think I found one.  It's nothing special really, but delicious in it's simplicity.  Here a recipe for my home town's famous stew. Feeds I don't know how many!

Beef Stew

25 lbs beef stew meat (make sure there's some fat on it for flavor, you skinny ninnies out there)
Pepper
Salt
1 c. onions, chopped
1 c. celery, chopped
2/3 tbls. chili powder
1 tbls. beef bouillon
tomatoes to taste

If you want, add 4 lbs carrots cut into chunks, 5 lbs potatoes. cut into chunks.

Cook beef and onions, celeery, and seasonings in water until the meat is soft, about 2 hours.  Add potatoes, carrots, and tomatoes and cook until the veggies are tender.  Simmer until all flavors are blended.  Serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment