Gourmet Food

>

Thursday, October 4, 2012

German Potato Salad with Bacon and Balsamic Vinegar

If you've read my nostalgia pages, you will know I'm of German and Czech descent (Have I just destroyed my street creds with that admission?).  One of my favorite dishes growing up was the simple "German Potato Salad".  This is one of my favorites to go with Bratwurst and Sauerkraut.  Did you ever regret you parents not teaching you their native language?  My Mom knew Czech but never taught us.  My husband's family knew I-talian but didn't teach him because they didn't want him to be ethnic.  Times have changed, huh?

German Potato Salad with Bacon and Balsamic Vinegar

2 pounds small red potatoes, boiled, and cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar or cidar vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
black pepper to taste
4-5 slices 40% reduced fat bacon, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 med. white onion cut into dice
2 tbls canola oil
1/2 cup beef broth
minced parsley for garnish

Mix together the potatoes and 2 tbls vinegar and salt and pepper.  Let stand at room temp.  Fry bacon in a med skillet over med. heat until crisp.  Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to the bowl of potatoes.  Add onion to bacon drippings and sauté until soft.  If there doesn't seem to be enough bacon dripping add up to 2 tbls canola oil.  Add beef broth and bring to a boil.  Add remaining vinegar.  Remove from heat and pour mixture over potatoes.  Add parsley and toss to coat.  Serve at room temp.



No comments:

Post a Comment