Gourmet Food

>

Friday, May 24, 2013

Insalata Caprese

Who doesn't love tomatoes, mozzarella (or as my dear departed mother in law used to "mot-zer-el" with some good balsamic and EVOO?  Come on.  I dare you to disagree...  Waddaya kiddin' me?  It's tomato season and when looking for fresh mot-zer-el, I couldn't believe it but Kroger makes it's own mot-zer-el.  I know in Italy the caprese salad is usually served as a salad and not as a side.  But bitchy says "bitch this!"  It's so simple.  Sliced Roma or beef steak tomatoes, topped with good mot-zer-el or burrata, topped with fresh whole basil leaves, maybe some left over roasted peppers or not, drizzle with EVOO and a good quality balsamic, maybe some diced garlic or maybe not, maybe a sprinkle of sea salt and maybe a sprinkle of cracked red pepper.  I also served the La Brea bread I blogged about earlier except I used the garlic bread, brushed with EVOO and some grated Parmesan cheese, then under the broiler to toast and melt the cheese.  I served the bread and tomato salad with a perfectly cooked, if I do say so myself, grilled flat iron steak. Use the left over bread, if any, to dip in the oil and balsamic.  Buon appetito!




No comments:

Post a Comment