Gourmet Food

>

Thursday, April 25, 2013

El Real Restaurant, Houston Texas

I was desperately in need of some REAL Tex Mex.  Craving it actually.  Where I live, there is a huge hole when it comes to really good Tex Mex.  My sister lives in the hip Houston neighborhood of Montrose.  So the first thing she asked when I told her I was coming to visit was, "so you want Tex Mex, right?"  Damned straight sister.  Within walking distance from her house is Bryan Caswell's (Top Chef Masters) newest restaurant El Real.  It's located in an old theater building and while you eat, they show old westerns on a huge screen.  When we were there they were showing Rawhide episodes.  I was dying for some beef enchiladas but the menu was so varied, I went wild an ordered a plate with a pork tamale, beef enchiladas, and a puffy chicken taco served along with refried beans topped with gooey cheese and rice (Leo's Deluxe Platter).  I didn't order a margarita but my sister did so I took a sip and it was one of the best I've ever had.  It had a kick to it as if it had some cayenne pepper in it.  I had a Silver Patron on ice.  Here is a sampling of their menu:


COMBINATIONS PLATES
Served With Rice And Refried Beans
Chingo Bling   14.95
Smoked chicken relleno, chicken enchilada with salsa verde, pork tamale
Leo’s Deluxe  Platter   14.95
2 beef enchiladas, chicken puffy taco, pork tamale
The Original Regular Dinner 12.95
2 Cheese Enchiladas, Chili Gravy, Tamale
Flaco Jimenez Plate 11.95
Refried Bean Chalupa, 2 Flautas, Guacamole Salad
Roosevelt Special 13.95
2 Cheese Enchiladas  With A Fried Egg, Refried Bean Chalupa, Beef Crispy Taco



If you're in the Houston area, try this restaurant.  You will not be sorry! Located at: 1201 Westheimer






No comments:

Post a Comment