Gourmet Food

>

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Baked Halibut with Tomato, Caper, Jalapeno Sauce

I was having lunch with my girl friends the other day and we were discussing the local fish store, Kathleen's Catch.  I said I had bought the most wonderful halibut fillets.  Well, Bitchy, they queried, how did you prepare them?  I had posted in a much earlier blog "my favorite sauce for fish".  In that recipe it calls for you to fry the fish.   In keeping with low fat cooking, I baked the halibut in foil packets.  Here's the recipe:

Ingredients: Serves 4

1 or 2 jalapeno peppers (I often use canned and then chop)

1 med. onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, chopped

1 15 oz can tomato sauce

1 tbs lime or lemon juice (I prefer lime)


1 teaspoon salt


1/2 tsp. sugar


1/8 tsp ground cinnamon


1/8 tsp ground cloves


1/8 tsp. pepper


1/4 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives or capers



1 tbs parsley, chopped

4-6 oz firm white fleshed fish i.e. halibut at least an inch to an inch and a half thick

Method: 

If using fresh jalapenos, cut jalapenos lengthwise and remove seeds and membrane (unless you want fire in the belly).  In a medium sized non reactive bowl, mix all ingredients together.

Meanwhile, preheat your oven  to 425 degrees.  Tear a length of heavy duty foil to accommodate the fish and the sauce and then to seal.  Place foil packets on a baking sheet.  Place fish fillet in center of foil and salt and pepper  both sides.  Top each fillet with about 1/4 cup of sauce.  Sprinkle with parsley.  Seal tightly.  Bake for 20 minutes or until  cooked as desired.




No comments:

Post a Comment