Gourmet Food

>

Friday, March 29, 2013

Pickle Juice Slaw

I know this doesn't sound good but trust me, it is.  I love pickles so this was a perfect recipe for me.  This is a delicious slaw that I've used over my beer braised brats.  Since grilling season, at least here in the south, is right around the corner, I thought I'd throw this recipe out there.  It's tangy and creamy and not overly sloppy with mayo. You can always add more to your taste.  Happy grillin'!

Makes enough for 4:


Make it Tonight Recipe
Ingredients
For the slaw
1 cup very thinly sliced red cabbage 
1/4 cup mayonnaise 
3 Tbs. pickle brine (from a jar of pickles, preferably dill) 
4 tsp. cider vinegar 
2 tsp. granulated sugar 
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper 
2-1/2 cups very thinly sliced green cabbage 
1/2 cup grated carrots 
1/4 cup finely chopped white onion 
Make the slaw
Soak the red cabbage in a bowl of ice water for 15 minutes to prevent its color from bleeding. Drain and pat dry. In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, pickle brine, vinegar, sugar, 1/4 tsp. salt, and a grind of pepper. Add the red and green cabbage, carrot, and onion and toss well to combine. Refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.


From Fine Cooking 121 , pp. 42

No comments:

Post a Comment