Gourmet Food

>

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Mediterranean Chicken la la Bitchy

I'm just not a fan of chicken.  I guess I remember my mother beheading them when I was little while growing up on a ranch in South Texas.  We had this tree stump, and well, a good sharp ax will do the trick every time.  If you're a vegan, sorry...Anyway, when I do make chicken for dinner, I usually buy a roasted one from Costco or Sam's and use the meat for something.  But with this recipe, you need raw chicken.  I'm not a top chef nor anywhere near, so when I need a whole chicken cut in to pieces, I buy one already cut up.  Just pay for the service, OK.  If you cut the chicken yourself, you might slice your thumb off. Like steak, which is better with the bone in, so is chicken.  But to cut down on the fat, I skin the chicken.  If you're a normal family, this will serve six. In mine, my husband is the big eater, it will serve two with plenty of leftovers.

1 large chicken, cut into serving sizes and skinned
1-28 oz can diced tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, smashed and diced
1 green bell pepper, cut into a dice
1 medium sweet onion, cut into a dice
2 cups kale, stripped of tough stems, washed and torn into bite sized pieces
1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
crushed red pepper to taste

In a large skillet, heat the olive over over high heat until shimmering.  Lightly salt and pepper the chicken.  Add the chicken in batches and cook until browned on all sides.  Remove from pan.  Over medium high heat, add the onions and bell peppers.  Cook until the onions are opaque.  Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (don't burn them!)  Put the chicken back in the pan and top with tomatoes, chicken broth and kale.  Add crushed red pepper, if you want some heat.  Sort of stir the toppings.  Bring to a simmer and cover and cook until chicken is no longer pink.  I usually bring the chicken to its almost "cooked" point and then turn off the heat to let it finish cooking in the sauce so it remains moist.  Season to taste.

Serve over rice, pasta or even smashed potatoes.








No comments:

Post a Comment