Gourmet Food

>

Monday, February 11, 2013

A Stove Top Grill for "Roasting" Peppers

I bought this great stove top grill that sits over your gas flame for roasting peppers.  I know you can broil them in your oven but I have a big Viking range and don't really want to crank the whole thing up for a few peppers.  This grill is by the great Mexican chef, Rick Bayless.  I bought it at Sur la Table.

Here it is:  photo.JPG

BUT, BUT, BUT!  You need to be careful because the flame causes the skin on the peppers to roast (duh) but causes small sparks to fly in the air.  I guess you could the flame down but them you wouldn't get as good of a char.  And you DON'T want to turn on your exhaust.  Can we say house fire?  So this is what I do: photo.JPG I put the lid from one of my Emile Henry pots and it works perfectly in keeping the sparks out of the air.  Clever girl friend.

Put the grilled peppers in a large zip lock bag for 15 minutes or so.  Peel charred skin off under slowly running cold water.  Put in a non reactive bowl.  Add a little sea salt, some cracked red pepper or freshly ground black pepper, some EVOO, maybe a little balsamic or finely diced garlic.  Eat on toasted Italian bread, put on a salami sandwich, dice into eggs for an omelette.  Bon appetito!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this post. I found it very helpful. You give some great recipes that sound really tasty. I love to barbeque and try and do so on a regular basis. Roasted peppers are something I try and incorporate in my meals. I have been researching new grills for this summer because I want to be able to accommodate more guests.

    ReplyDelete