Gourmet Food

>

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Black Rice? And LaBrea Bakery

"Venere is a black rice that originated in china and is grown in the po valley of Italy. It is pleasantly aromatic whole grain rice, cooks in just 18 minutes and releases a distinctive aroma similar to sandalwood and freshly baked bread. Rich in fiber and phosphorous and is ideal for a varied and balanced diet. If boiled and seasoned with oil or butter it is an excellent supplement to meat or fish. It is also delicious if cooked in salt water then transferred to a frying pan with oil, garlic and seasoning with a sprinkle of parsley. The black appearance adds to a unique presentation with many other foods."  So says the internet on "black" rice.  I came across this dish at Pescatori's in London.  They served a grilled Mediterranean Sea Bass over "Venere" rice with braised leeks.  It was outstanding.  So, I went to my favorite online site, Amazon.com, and ordered 3 boxes for $21.37.  I'm a prime member and so I got free shipping.  I loved this rice because it has such a nutty flavor and can easily be cooked "al dente", to the bite.  It is best served with either fish or chicken.  Blogger's note: I subsequently have found black rice at Kroger and Costco.  They're a short grained rice rather than the long grain from the Po Valley.  If you don't want to order three boxes, you can buy from either store and see if it's to your taste. I've tried them and they are too creamy for me.  I like the nuttiness and al dente of the Italian rice.  I used this as a side for a cooking demonstration where I cooked three different types of fish, catfish, salmon and red snapper.  Outstanding with each one.  

Riso Bello Venere (Black Rice), 17.6-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 3)  I love the bread they make at Wholefoods.  But with just my husband and me, their loaves tend to be too big.  We don't consume that much bread.  So I came across an artisan bread at Kroger from LaBrea Bakery in Van Nuys, CA.  They have started packaging breads for grocery stores.  I have bought two of their Tuscan Loaves and my I-talian husband loves them.  Tonight I'm making a cioppino and this bread will go great to dip in that awesome tomato broth.   Right now the loaf is in the oven and getting ready to be eaten!photo.JPG


No comments:

Post a Comment