Gourmet Food

>

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Baked Salmon Packets with Dill, Tabasco, Caper, Mayo Sauce

I make this ALL of the time and have been doing so for years.  I got the idea from Tabasco which started making Tabasco mayo.  I wanted a little heat and salt and creaminess to cut the oil from the salmon.  I came up with this dish.  If you have a favorite dry rub you like to use for salmon, go ahead and use it and then skip the dill on the fish.  My husband LOVES this dish.  Serves 4

4   6 oz skinless salmon fillets, your choice of type of salmon but the thicker cuts work better suited for baking
12 slices lemon, seeds removed
sea salt
freshly cracked pepper
1 tsp dried dill
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill to finish the plate

For the sauce:

1/2 cup mayo, I use olive oil mayo but use whatever kind you want
1/2 tsp dried dill
1 tablespoon  capers, drained
1/2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4-1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
salt and pepper to taste

For the mayo, dill, caper etc sauce, simply mix all ingredients and put in fridge.  For the salmon, cut four sheets of heavy duty foil to accommodate the fish and enough to "bundle" the package.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Place one fillet in center of each packet of foil.  Sprinkle with your favorite dry rub or use my dill and lemon from above.  Top with lemon slices.  Seal well.  Place on a cookie sheet and put in the 425 degree oven.  Cook 20-25 minutes until they are cooked the way you like your salmon cooked.  I like mine just a tad bit undercooked.  My husband likes his cooked all the way though.  To me, cooking it all the way through, makes it too dry.  Remove from foil packets.  Serve atop rice with a generous dollop of the sauce.




No comments:

Post a Comment